Liquid Liquid Centrifugal Separator
B&P’s Podbielniak® Contactor (POD®) is a horizontal axis liquid liquid centrifugal extractor that processes liquids for accelerated solvent extraction. The two main functions of this machine are liquid liquid separation (must have specific gravity difference of .01 or greater) and the liquid-liquid extraction process through counter-current flow.
This separation technology is often selected for temperature-sensitive operations, when trying to reduce footprint and solvent inventory from a tower, and when speed of process is important.
The POD® has been in service for over 60 years and is still finding new applications where other liquid liquid separation or extraction processing equipment cannot perform. B&P Littleford has a very knowledgeable staff and top notch test facility to help trial the unit and identify/optimize your process.
For more information regarding our liquid liquid centrifugal separator, request a quote today.
Process Example 1 (solvent extraction): The separation of acetic acid from dilute solutions of water can be very costly if done by distillation alone. By running the material through the POD® first, the majority of the water is removed and the final product is realized by distilling a much smaller amount of water, which saves energy.
Process Example 2 (fermentation broth): A fermentation broth needs to be brought up to temperature for extraction but can only stand that temperature for a few minutes without degrading the active product. The POD® is the only extraction unit that will get the active product out and back down to temperature within a very short and consistent time frame.
Design Features Of The POD® Contactor:
- Lower operating rpm with widely spaced over-sized bearings leads to longer life of rotating parts.
- Hermetic flooded operation handles solvents and eliminates need for nitrogen purging in the separation.
- Critical leakage paths sealed by primary + secondary sealing components
- Allows any permutation of process liquids to provide safest handling.
- Special options for pharmaceutical applications
- Easy cleaning (CIP) provision for rotor elements using Asco tubes and Ferralium alloy liners.
- Dual bearing lubrication system: each bearing equipped w/ two drip-feed lubricators, one for normal operation and one for flush cleaning the bearings.
- All non-contact parts and attachments in SS 304 / SS 304 Cladding / Chrome
- Standard MOC is 316SS
- Various other options available for Pharma design, Acid treat design, Alloy20/Incoloy 825 design, Hastelloy design.
Key Performance Features Of The Pod:
- Multiplies G-forces up to 3,000 times to accelerate separation or extraction processing
- Far exceeds single-G approaches such as gravity towers, mixer-settlers and other rotating or pulsating contactors.
- Sensitive enough to separate liquids with specific gravity differentials as low as 0.01
- Can separate emulsions due to high G force and low shear operation
- Compact hermetic design saves valuable floor space, and expensive liquid inventory in extraction.
- Separation and extraction process results achieved on laboratory-scale systems are easily scaled up to production-sized systems.
- Highly efficient and effective use of sensitive and hazardous process liquids and expensive solvents
Successful Pod applications exhibit more than one of the above characteristic requirements and challenges simultaneously.Let's Connect!
Sample Applications of a Liquid Liquid Centrifugal Extractor
B&P's Pod® Centrifuge has a number of different applications in a variety of industries. Some examples of applications include:
Liquid Ion Exchange (LIX)
Liquid-Liquid Extraction (LLE)
Vanadium extraction, yellow cake extraction
Citric acid, phenol from wastewater
Acrylics, Butadiene with Cuprous ammonium acetate, Fumaric acid (Maleic acid), Hydrogen Peroxide, Liquid smoke
|Chemical||Washing||Benzene with alkali, Bromobutyl rubber, Chlorobenzene with alkali, Chlorobutyl rubber, Esters, Ethyl acetate & Benzene, Pesticides, Herbicides, Nylon intermediate, Organic peroxides, Plasticizers, Polycarbonate, Polyether polyols, Trans polyisoprene|
Citral extraction from Limonine, Hops extraction
Cooking oil water washing
Refining Oleic oils, refining "Lauric" oils, Effluent processing, Fish oils
|Pharmaceutical||Liquid-Liquid Extraction (LLE)||Various antibiotics such as Penicillin G, Penicillin V, Rifampicin, Tylosin, Bacitracin, Erythromycin, Alkaloids, Giberillin, Estrogen, Lysergic / DCETH, Nicotinic acid, Phytochemicals, Vitamins A from fish oil, Vitamin C, Statins, Vaccine production, Anti-cancer drugs, steroids, enzymes, hormones|
Naphthenic Crude Processing
Bioethanol, Biodiesel Production
Aromatics extraction, Color index & oil quality improvement
Caustic treating, Water washing, naphthenic acid recovery and washing
Biodiesel glycerol separation, biodiesel washing, removal of sterol glucosides, glycerol processing
|Specialty Oils||Oleum Treating, Neutralization, Washing, Sulfonate Soap Extraction||N-Paraffin, Transformer oils, White oil|
B&P Littleford is prepared and equipped to help you with your separation and extraction needs. Take advantage of our experience and technology by contacting us to see what Podbielniak technology can do for your process and bottom line.