Carbon Paste & Anode Paste Mixing
Carbon Paste Mixing
B&P Littleford designs, develops and delivers durable, reliable mixers and kneaders ideal for producing high-quality anode paste and carbon paste.
B&P Littleford’s Carbon Paste Kneaders, Continuous Kneaders, and Double Arm/Sigma Blade Mixers are expertly engineered, skillfully crafted and rigidly tested to meet your exacting specifications to make the high-quality anode paste and carbon paste that is essential to producing industrial aluminum. Request a quote today!
B&P Littleford Equipment
Söderberg paste mixing
Submerged arc electrodes for Ferroalloy furnaces, calcium carbide.
Green anode paste mixing of calcined coke with pitch
Carbon anodes for electrolytic smelting of Aluminum.
What is anode paste and carbon paste?
Anode and carbon paste are critical components in producing industrial aluminum.
Aluminum is the most widely used nonferrous metal because of its strength, light weight, electrical and thermal conductivities, excellent malleability, and resistance to oxygen, light and other environmental influences.
These properties are manifested when aluminium ore undergoes electrolysis, an industrial extraction process.
The electrolysis process utilizes blocks or briquettes of paste created by mixing a special type of coke with coal tar pitch.
Here’s the process: Coke is loaded into a heated kneader. Liquid coal tar pitch is injected into the kneader processing chamber and mixed with the coke to create a paste. The paste is formed into block anodes or briquettes, depending on the application.
These blocks and briquettes are used in electrolysis of aluminium to form aluminum.
Providing you the product you need
B&P Littleford manufactures anode paste & carbon paste kneaders & mixers that generate maximum paste throughput and feature rugged designs, unique and efficient mixing mechanisms, and easy access for maintenance.
B&P Littleford Carbon Paste Continuous Kneaders (CP-CK Kneaders) are ideal for proficiently and precisely creating quality, consistent green anode paste.
- Deliver maximum throughput
- Provide consistent mixing
- Equipped with efficient mixing mechanism
- Segmented system design means minimal tear-down required for maintenance or part replacement
- Peak shear rate lower than other compounders
- Operates at comparatively lower internal pressure
- Uniformity of temperature, pressure and narrow residence time distribution
- Greater surface area, more free volume and higher specific torque capability
- Total shear strain is controllable by adding or removing pins and flights
- Ability to measure melt temperature or inject liquids at any point along the process
- Efficient self-wiping mixing mechanism
B&P Littleford’s Continuous Kneaders are available in a wide range of screw sizes and include an array of features:
- Screw sizes from 30 mm to 300 mm with process lengths ranging from 8 to 20 L/D
- Compact high-performance gearbox, capable of screw speeds up to 750 rpm.
- Cored screw shaft option for fluid tempering.
- Electric heating and water cooling (standard) or fluid cooling (optional)
- Customized supporting equipment available include top feeders, side feeders, vacuum vent stuffers, vacuum connection chute, melt pump, discharge extruders and die face pelletizer
- Easy to clean split barrel results in faster product changeover
B&P Littleford’s high-performing, cost-effective Carbon Paste Kneader efficiently produces anode paste. B&P Littleford’s Carbon Paste Kneader delivers high-quality, highly-consistent anode paste.
B&P Littleford Carbon Paste Kneader features:
- Reliable mixing mechanism and automatic mixing energy control results
- Gentler mixing action minimizes attrition of coarse particles, resulting in optimal pitch consumption
- Pitch injection through kneading tooth prevents formation of paste lumps and minimizes pitch consumption and volatile emissions to upstream equipment
- Lowest cracking rate during baking due to optimum pitch in green anode
- Fewer return butts due to equal anode consumption in the pot room
- Lower consumption of carbon per ton of aluminum produced
- High specific output per machine size and high machine availability
- Improved price/performance ratio through compact machine design
- Low installation and operation costs
- Designed with wear-resistant segmented process parts, make service easier and shorter
- Specially adapted upstream preheating equipment enhances our offering
Use B&P Littleford’s Double Arm/Sigma Blade technology to mix anode and carbon paste.
The Double Arm/Sigma Blade Mixer is simple to operate, easy to clean, and incudes a wide range of features that can be customized to meet your exacting carbon paste mixing specifications:
- Available in laboratory sizes and production sizes up to 900 gallons
- Sturdy stainless steel construction with required polish
- Spray injection
- Easy to clean shaft seals
- Direct shaft mount drives
- Variable speed motors
- Computerized controls
- ASME jackets for cooling and heating
- Cored agitators for enhanced product temperature control
- Tilt or valve discharge
- Full vacuum operation
- Vacuum equipped packing glands
Delivering the Service You Deserve
B&P Littleford designs, develops and delivers a wide range of mixing, drying, compounding, reacting, extracting and centrifugal separation equipment for many different manufacturing applications.
- More than 100 years’ industry experience
- Quality parts and service
- Professional, knowledgeable staff
- Top-notch testing facilities
Request a quote now!